Friday, March 7, 2008

books, books and more books...

Today I traveled to Augusta - I was asked to be on the Raising Readers book selection committee for the 2009 collection. Several educators, parents, nurses made up the group and we reviewed about 10 book selections in each age category from birth to 4 years old. We rated them and the Raising Reader team will review and make decisions on which books to try and get for the next collection. We all received a beautiful tote bag and the latest 5 year book selection - again all Maine authors. I had a nice time and enjoyed meeting new people. The frost heaves on the long drive was the only bummer to the day. I was pleased that we got out a little early - I was able to get home in time to go to a book signing in my town ( just 2 miles from the house) The children's book author happens to be the writer/illustrator for one of the most requested/read books at the library " If I built a car" by Chris Van Dusen. I got his book "Down to the Sea with Mr. Magee" autographed tonight - I had a special boy in mind to give it to as he will receive his "pawtographed" book from Timber the next library read... I called his mom when I got home - he does not have that book so... I am so excited to have the autographed copy to give him at the end of the month (with a Mr. Magee bookmark too!) Mr. Van Dusen was extremely nice and friendly (and owns a yellow lab named Pearl!) I was glad that I was able to get down town to meet him. I'll have to add more of his books to my personal library for the kids to read. I love the illustration and color - and his artistic style which makes it more interesting for me when I am read the same book over and over! SO - the day was filled with books, books, books...

No comments: